In order to meet the growing needs of providing quality education at reasonable cost to services children, a miniature but progressive school was established at Maulana Azad Road Officer’s Hostel in Delhi in May 1953.
It was called Defense Services Public school and had a strength of 21 Children and two teachers. By July 1959, the classes extended up to VIII and July 1961, it was upgraded to class XI with 600 children and 32 faculty members.
The school shifted to its present campus in 1970. on July 1976 the school got its present name, the army public school. It has since been affiliated to CBSE New Delhi & Directorate of Education, Delhi. A humble initiative in 1953 has transformed into a giant leap today. From a small beginning of 21 children, the number of students in the school has gradually increased from 1500 in 1976 to nearly 5000 currently.